How to Get in and Out of the New Bacolod-Silay Airport
Barely several months after the opening of the new Iloilo Airport in June 2007, the City of Smiles has also opened the newest gateway to Sugarlandia of the Philippines itself–Bacolod Silay Airport. In January 2008, the old Singcang Airport in Bacolod City has ceased operations and transfered to the new facility about 20 kilometers away from the Bacolod, located in Hacienda Bagtic in the City of Silay. In line with the upcoming Masskaracelebrations this October, here are some tips on how to get in and out of the new airport.
By being far from the city center, here are some tips in how to get in and out of the new airport facility:
- As usual, the ever reliable taxi cabs. Although the most expensive yet the most convenient among all of the public transport serving the airport. It is pegged at around P250-P500 for the trip from the airport to Bacolod City.
- For those who wanted cheap transportation direct, there are shuttle services in Robinsons, Gaisano City and SM City Bacolod that leaves 2 hours prior to departurte time. Unlike its Iloilo counterpart, the shuttle uses coaster buses at a cost of more or less P100-P150 per trip.
- You can take a shuttle van up to Bacolod’s North Terminal near Bangga Pepsi for P35.00 only. From there, you can take a jeepney all the way to downtown (Mandalagan-Public Market, etc).
- You may take the usual jeepney from Bacolod City (terminal at “Shopping” or Mandalagan area) to Silay City. Drop yourself off at the city plaza and there are shuttle services that may cost you P200-P400 for a special trip (occupy all), P50 for ordinary trip (together with other passengers). Even though if SIlay City is near the airport, but this is one of the most expensive public transport there is.
- Taking the Silay City jeepney from Bacolod, drop yourself off at the Public Market which is also at the city center of Silay. You may ride the jeepney/multicab or tricycle bound for Gintubdan. And for more or less P10-12, you may be able to reach the airport. P50 if you like to occupy the entire tricycle, back and forth. But a tip though, although this is the most affordable, yet this is the most inconvenient way to go to the airport. You may get crammed in or will have to wait for other passengers to load up the transport.